It is that time of year again. The time for self reflection and resolutions. Why do we feel this incessant need to "fix" ourselves once a year? Children don't do that. They don't worry about what they did yesterday or what they are going to do tomorrow. As adults we need a little more planning in order to take care of ourselves and our children. But why does it need to be as complicated as we make it?
Some resolutions go along these lines. "I used to do ____ all the time. Why did I ever stop? I will do ____ more this year?" If we still enjoyed it, we would still be doing it, right? Maybe we need to take a break from the fun in order to enjoy it more when it comes again.
Sometimes I feel like I need a list. Gee, I enjoyed doing ___ today. I should put it on the list so I can look back and remember to do it again. I'm torn because that sounds so pressed and fake. I want to be spontaneous and carefree. There isn't a formula to follow to maximize enjoyment of life.
But then, when was the last time I went swimming? I love to swim. I used to spend 8 hours a day in the pool during summer vacation. Granted a have a few responsibilities now that don't give me 8 hours per day to swim. And my shyness about wearing a bathing suit in front of people certainly plays a factor. So what do I do? Going swimming now requires planning. I'd have to find a place to swim, I'd have to find a suit that fits and I'd have to find a sitter. All this work for a little fun.
So you find things that are more conveniently fun. Things you can do now without all the planning. And it becomes a resolution. I'll swim more this year. But with that one sentence, you've made fun into a chore.
What's the solution? I don't know. But I do know that I laughed until I cried last night watching my baby have fun. And when she wants to go swimming, it won't be a chore to take her.
No comments:
Post a Comment